Monday, May 25, 2009

Bolder Boulder

Jordan, Eric (Jordan's cousin), and I ran the Bolder Boulder 10K this morning. It's such a large race (the largest in the country) with over 54,000 runners, that they start you in waves. Jordan and Eric were in qualifying waves, so their start times were 7:03 am & 7:07 am. I definitely was NOT in a qualifying wave. I had a start time of 7:43 am. We didn't leave Denver until 6:00 this morning, which was a mistake. We had to drive to Boulder, park in a ramp, and take a nice long bus ride to the start. We arrived at the starting line at 7:30ish...Jordan and Eric missed their wave! They ended up starting in my wave and were dodging the joggers the whole way.

I was going slow enough to enjoy everything on the side of the road. At least every 1/2 mile, people were handing out food or drinks. I saw beer, donuts, bacon, cupcakes, suckers, Doritos, and watermelon. I was always on the wrong side of the street to stop and enjoy the sugary treats! Plus, I don't think a donut would be the best thing to shove in my mouth at mile 4. There were a lot of bands, belly dancers, and cheerleaders keeping the runners motivated. At the end, they hand you a beer, a snack bag, and an American flag. It was a great race and we both met our goals. My goal was to run 10 minute miles without stopping. Jordan's goal was to run 7:30 minute miles (and of course without stopping).

Vanessa's Splits:
Mile 1: 9:35
Mile 2: 9:38
Mile 3: 10:08
Mile 4: 10:01
Mile 5: 10:06
Mile 6: 10:20 (It was hilly! I didn't think I would make it to the finish.)
Official time: 1:01:56
Avg. Pace: 9:59 (Just barely made the 10 minute mile average!)

Jordan's Splits:
Mile 1: 6:46 (Wow...Go Jordan!)
Mile 2: 7:14
Mile 3: 7:18
Mile 4: 7:08
Mile 5: 6:54
Mile 6: 7:03
Official time: 43:46
Avg. pace: 7:03

2 comments:

MissAllycat said...

You guys are rock stars! <3

Judy said...

Way to go - running for that long without stopping is amazing!!! I'm so impressed.