After realizing our mistake, we drove to the quaint mountain town of Grand Lake. It's really cute with a boardwalk and gift shops and more ice cream stores and coffee shops than I have ever seen in one town! We rented a canoe and paddled out on the beautiful lake with surrounding mountains.
We had lunch in town at a BBQ joint and decided to go for an afternoon hike. We ended up doing a 7 mile round-trip hike to Cascade Falls. The hike was pretty easy (from 8,488 to 9,010 feet) and the end result was a really cool waterfall.
Then it was back to the campsite for some good eatin'. Doritos (we managed to eat the entire bag over a 2 day period), sweet corn, grilled cheese sandwiches, Bud Light Lime, and s'mores - YUM! I bet the people next to us were wondering why we were hanging out around the fire without a tent. But although I love tent camping, I'd have to say it was nice to sleep in a cozy house and wake up without a stiff neck.
On Sunday after breakfast we went for a 2 mile run around the "neighborhood" and marveled at the cabins. We both decided that someday we'd like to own a cabin in the mountains. Unfortunately all the cabins for sale were more than we'd be able to spend on our home! On the drive home near Berthoud Pass, we pulled off the road and hiked up the mountain. Unlike the hike near Grand Lake, this one was tough. It was pretty much uphill the whole way (from 10,590 to 11,501 feet) but we were rewarded with the most amazing views! We were so high up that there was still snow! I was on the lookout for any animals along the route...I was hoping for a bear (in the distance of course) but I would've settled for a mountain goat, bighorn sheep, or even a deer! Unfortunately all we saw were some birds and squirrels.
(This is on the way up the moutain. The picture isn't too great, but it's the best I could do with the self-timer and a rock to balance the camera on)
So seeing that we hiked and ran about 12 miles total this weekend, I don't have to feel guilty about the half-bag of Doritos or the two s'mores right?






1 comment:
Great pictures!! Sounds like a fun weekend. I like the idea of camping without a tent. :) What a fun tradition to have an annual camping weekend. It's so fun to read your blog. Thanks for sharing your life this way - I love it.
Post a Comment