One of my New Year's goals was to become more serious about health. Yes, I know this is everyone's resolution. But specifically, I decided to slowly become a vegan. Vegan because cruelty to animals isn't only happening in the meat industry. Slowly because I knew if I tried to do too much at once, it wouldn't last.
In January I gave up cheese. I had a very successful month, and only slipped up twice. The first mistake was when I purposefully passed over the "Harvest Cheddar" flavor of Sun Chips and grabbed a handful of "Garden Salsa". Who would have thought that those had two types of cheese? My second mistake was when I added some prepared pesto to my penne pasta. And pesto has Parmesan cheese. Oops.
The month was actually easier than I thought. The two most challenging no-cheese eating moments were during a potluck at school (lots of meaty and cheesy hot dishes) and a wine and cheese party that I attended. But it's worth it to my body and those poor cows.
In February, I am going to continue to abstain from cheese and also cut out yogurt. I need to experiment with soy cheese though, because I can't live without pizza for very much longer!
If you are curious about where dairy comes from and at what cost, check out this video that was featured on ABC's Nightline. It is very hard to watch, but knowledge is power right? Thanks to Taking the World On for spotlighting this video.
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yikes. I need to re-read Skinny Bitch. I've forgotten how bad dairy really is...
Dammit Vanessa! You're going to make me vegan. :)
Hey Guys, first of all let me say I love you and miss you! I just ordered a book called Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I think my husband thinks I'm nuts, he is a meat lover!!! Sierra has been dabbling in the vegetarian lifestyle alittle bit. Anyway thanks for the links, it's so sad that people feel so little for animals.
Post a Comment