Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lent

I can't believe it's already Lent. This year is going by so fast! Every year, I give something up and usually try to add something good in my life.

This year, my Lenten promises fall into three categories:
Prayer: In addition to praying, I will keep a daily "I'm Grateful" journal. I did this last year and it really helped me recognize all the good things in my life. And it's fun to look back on last year.
Almsgiving: We are going to make a few donations to various organizations. We also signed up to serve dinner at the homeless shelter twice/month.
Fast: I will fast on complaining, gossiping, and criticizing. It's time for me to pull out my purple bracelet. I will also fast on chocolate. I've read some good articles about how Lent shouldn't be about giving up meaningless things and instead we should be focusing on God. I know chocolate doesn't seem purposeful, but me giving up chocolate is kind of like Catholics giving up meat on Fridays. It's just tradition.

Since I never eat meat, I'm going to try really hard to be completely vegan on Fridays instead. To kick off the no-meat Fridays for Jordan and the no-dairy Fridays for me, we went to City O' City - an organic, vegetarian/vegan restaurant downtown. We shared Sweet Potato Jalapeno Croquettes and Vegan Florentine pizza. Yummmm...There were so many choices; I wish I could eat there every night.


1 comment:

Judy said...

You are so good to always give up chocolate!!! I don't know that I could (or would want to) do that.